|NPH/Isophane by Eli Lilly|
|Action in dogs:|
|Also known as: Humulin I, Huminsulin Basal, Humulin N, Humulin NPH, Humulina NPH, Humuline NPH, Humuline N Humulin ReliOn N|
| Similar to: Novolin N, Insulatard, Protaphan|
Insuhuman Basal, Protaphane, Winthrop Basal
ReliOn/Novolin NPH, Insuman Basal
Names of Lilly r-DNA/GE/GM insulins worldwide
|Use and Handling:|
|Shelf Life: 24 months||Type: cloudy|
|When Opened: 28 days room temp.|
|In Pen: 28 days room temp.|
| Notes: Protect from light and heat|
Do Not Freeze, Resuspend
Do not use if product does not re-suspend
Do not use intravenously 
Umuline NPH is an Eli Lilly brand name for their NPH-based insulin product.  This insulin is the same as Humulin N, produced by Lilly in the US.
It is an intermediate-acting insulin.
NPH (Isophane) insulin was originally developed by Novo Nordisk labs in 1946, as an insulin with intermediate action.
This type of insulin tends to have an onset of 2-4 hours, a peak action of 4-10 hours, and a total duration of 10-20 hours, in humans.
In the UK, Humulin N is known as Humulin I ("I" standing for its isophane suspension.);  elsewhere it's called Huminsulin Basal, Humuline NPH, and Humulina NPH. Aventis also makes two similar NPH insulins called Insuman Basal  and Winthrop Basal.
Specifications of NPH/isophane insulinEdit
British National Formulary  defines this type as: A sterile suspension bovine or porcine or of human insulin in the form of a complex obtained by the addition of protamine sulphate or another suitable protamine.
British Pharmacoepia and United States Pharmacopia definitions: 
Sterile buffered suspension of insulin in the form of a complex obtained by addition of suitable protamine. Prepared from crystalline insulin. pH 6.9 - 7.5 iso-osmotic with blood. Contains for each 100 units of insulin, 300 - 600 g protamine sulphate and not more than 40 g zinc, a suitable bactericide and sodium phosphate as buffering agent.
USP specification: Sterile suspension of zinc insulin crystalline and protamine sulphate in buffered water for injection. Solid phase contain crystals of insulin protamine and zinc; 40, 80, 100 units/ml. Contains glycerol, metacresol, phenol sodium phosphate and zinc.
The following commercial insulins are all generically NPH insulins:
|All Intermediate acting|
|Betasint Bovine NPH|
Hypurin Bovine Isophane 
(No longer produced.)
|Iletin I NPH
(No longer produced.)
|Betasint Porcine NPH|
Hypurin Porcine Isophane 
Hypurin Pork NPH
|Iletin II NPH|
Pork Insulatard 
(No longer produced.)
Leo Retard (No longer produced.)
|Huminsulin Basal, Humulin I|
Humulin N, Humulin NPH
Humulina NPH, Humuline N
Humuline NPH, Umuline NPH
Humulin ReliOn N
|Insuhuman Basal, Insuman Basal|
Isuhuman Basal, Winthrop Basal
|Insulatard, Novolin N|
(No longer produced)
Other commonly used names are:
- NPH insulin, NPH
- isophane insulin
- ↑ Insulins. North American Veterinary Conference (2005).
- ↑ Ruchinsky, Renee, et. al. (2010). Diabetes Management Guidelines for Dogs and Cats-page 7. American Animal Hospital Association.
- ↑ Maddison, Jill E.,Page, Stephen W.,Church, David B. (2008). Small Animal Clinical Pharmacology. Saunders Ltd..
- ↑ Humulin N NPH/Isophane Human Insulin. Revolution Health.
- ↑ Lilly insulins list. Eli Lilly France (November 2000). (in French}
- ↑ Humulin N. Eli Lilly.
- ↑ Novolin N. Eli Lilly.
- ↑ Patient Information Leaflet-Insulatard. Novo Nordisk.
- ↑ Prescribing Novo Insulins.
- ↑ Scientific Discussion-Insulatard. EMEA.
- ↑ Scientific Discussion-Protaphane. EMEA.
- ↑ Humulin I Prescribing Information.
- ↑ Patient Information Leaflet-Humulin I. Eli Lilly.
- ↑ Lilly EU/UK Product Sheet & Time Activity Profiles. Eli Lilly.
- ↑ Patient Information Leaflet-Insuman Basal. Sanofi-Aventis.
- ↑ Insuman Prescribing Information.
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 British National Formulary-Isophane/NPH Insulin Definition. InChem.
- ↑ Hypurin Bovine Isophane Patient Information. Net Doctor UK.
- ↑ Hypurin Bovine Isophane. Wockhardt UK.
- ↑ Prescribing Bovine Insulin.
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 Response to Withdrawal of Novo Porcine Insulins. CP/Wockhardt UK.
- ↑ Prescribing Porcine Insulin.
- ↑ Prescribing Novo Animal Insulin.
- ↑ Patient Information Leaflet-Pork Insulatard. Novo Nordisk.
- NACDS-Insulin Chart-Page 2
- Insulin therapy for dogs and cats Dowling, Patricia, September 1995, Canadian Veterinary Journal
A discussion of NPH/isophane insulins.